Search This Blog

My Least Favorite Parts of Growing Up in the Rio Grande Valley

Although I loved growing up in the Rio Grande Valley and would do it again if I could, there are still a few things that I dislike about growing up here.


  • First, would be that the Valley lacks a lot of the amenities that large urban cities have. From stores to restaurants to services. For example I am a big fan of theatre and in the Valley there is not a lot of theatre, which was disappointing to me. Although the Valley's lack of many amenities was an issue in my childhood, currently the Valley is expanding and gaining many things that were only in big cities before.

  • Another thing that I did not enjoy growing up in the Valley was that it was difficult to experience other cultures. Although I love the culture in the Valley, there is the issue that it is really the only culture. With 90% of the population being Mexican-American most of us share a similar culture, and although this can be a good thing it really does not prepare you for meet people of different races and creeds.

  • Something else that I did not enjoy about the Valley is that it is far away from most places. Being in the southern tip of Texas, people in the Valley find it very difficult to travel to any where else. The closest big urban city to us is San Antonio which is still a four hour drive north. Additionally flying can be problematic as you have to take at least two flights to get anywhere outside of Houston or Dallas. This makes flights more expensive and also take up more of your day.
There may be a few thing that I did not like growing up in the Rio Grande Valley, overall they did not take away from how much I loved growing up here. My childhood is something that I would never trade and the Rio Grande Valley contributed to it in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment